Social inclusion for disabled people
Short Description and Goal
This new town-twinning relationship encompasses an important theme of disabled citizens’ participation in the community life and of support other members of local community, especially youth, can provide to them through voluntary work.
- Within the framework of the signing of the newTwinning Agreement between San Lawrenz (MT) and Colle Umberto (IT) in 2005, a project “Discovering Each Other through Culture, Environment and Tradition” involved all sectors of the disabled community, from the young, to women, to the elderly.
- The meeting mainly dealt with the issue of full inclusion in the educative, cultural and social sectors.Integration in social life was particularly emphasised.
- To make it easier and more affordable for disabled people to participate in the citizens’ meeting, San Lawrenz organised a direct charter flight from Venice to Malta.
- As a follow-up several projects to promote the integration of disabled people into local society have already been carried out by San Lawrenz and Colle Umberto.
- One such project encouraged citizens to do voluntary work with disabled people. To this end, San Lawrenz council sent a student to Colle Umberto, also involving the French town La Balme de Sillingy for nine months todo voluntary work with people with disabilities.
- Disabled people also participated in another joint project between the two towns: an English-language course was held in San Lawrenz for students from Colle Umberto, a considerable number of whom had disabilities. The students stayed with residents ofSan Lawrenz so that the two communities could experience living together.
- These projects enabled the citizens from San Lawrenzand Colle Umberto to find out about each other and their respective cultures and lifestyles in the new twin towns. The twin towns intend to embark upon further projects involving all sectors of both their communities.
Source: Town twinning projects on Social Inclusion
Innsbruck, AUSTRIA 10-12 May 2006
Brochure of best practices
Level / Project Complexity /
- San Lawrenz (MT)
- Colle Umberto (IT)
- La Balme-de-Sillingy (FR)
Sizes of Participating Cities
• 5.000 - 20.000
Cover picture: unsplash.com